Thursday 5 August 2010

Booking Through Thursday

What is the first book you remember reading? What about the first that made you really love reading? From an early age I loved being read to; however I didn’t really like reading to myself as it was normally set as homework to do and like most children at that age all homework was *obviously* boring. I adored people telling me stories though and would spend Saturday afternoons when I was being babysat by my aunty snuggled up with my sweets whilst she read me some books. I had a wonderful teacher as well who had a real gift for story telling she used to make up stories to tell us off the top of her head usually about a boy named Sam and his granddad who always had some sort of adventure. You could of heard a pin drop in those last half hours before the school day ended when we would all sit captivated wanting to hear another Sam and granddad adventure. For the next school year we had a new teacher who read us actual story books and that’s where my love of reading begins. One day she started to read to us The Twits by Roald Dahl and I found myself looking forward to going to school and going in even when I was sick just so I could find out what happened next in the book. As we got further into the story I found myself becoming impatient so instead of waiting out another whole weekend to find out what happens that Saturday me and my aunty went to the bookshop and brought my very own copy of The Twits so I could read it at my leisure along with a bind up of three other Roald Dahl books The BFG, Matilda and Georges Marvellous Medicine. Because I found reading in my head much faster than someone reading to me, I took it upon myself to finish The Twits and then read my other Roald Dahl bind up. When I had finished with all of Roald Dahl’s books I’d go to the school library and take out books like The Secret Garden and A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett, Book’s by Jacqueline Wilson, Enid Blyton and C. S. Lewis and a few years after that I stumbled upon Harry Potter and The Philosophers Stone when a girl in my class was reading it during reading hour and seemed rather engrossed. The Harry Potter books were the first books that I became seriously obsessed with and my library and love of reading has just grew and grew since then :) I loved this question I think it’s my favourite yet so leave me a link with your answer so I can check out your first book or the first book you loved.

4 comments :

  1. I mentioned Enid Blyton too! And Harry Potter is fantastic as well, definitely one of my favorite books ever.

    The Secret Garden... Are there movies or animated movies based on that? I definitely haven't read this, but it sounds very familiar. Wasn't there a boy in a wheelchair in that?

    Here's mine:

    http://cunninghamfan.blogspot.com/2010/08/booking-through-thursday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how many books I forgot in my reply! Like your answer - there's just something stirring about remembering childhood books, isn't there? Some of the sweetest and most passionate conversations at the shop happen when we get reminiscing about books we loved when we were younger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I'll go check them out now ;)

    Ellie- Yes like they say in 'You've got Mail' theres nothing quiet like reading books as a child. It just shapes who you are and what books you choose to read when your older. What books you pick for a child is very important I think. Oh and I messaged you on FB with a book reccy, helpful aren't I? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roald Dahl! What an amazing author to have as your guide to the door. And wow, that teacher of yours sounds so awesome! The next books you read definitely fueled that reading spark of yours, didn't they? :D

    The journey of reading is different for each of us, isn't it? I loved this week's question precisely because we each got a glimpse of everyone's starts.

    On a sidenote: just noticed that you're currently reading The Iron King. I am so jealous! :O

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts, opinions, and input make my day and help make this blog a better place, I reply to all comments so don't be a stranger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using images from the Valentine Owls and Valentine's Day clip art kits by Pink Pueblo