Tuesday 21 September 2010

Review for Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

People who know me will know that I love, love, love a good romantic story and when I read Simone Elkeles’ first book in this series Perfect Chemistry at the beginning of the year it quickly became one of my favourite books ever. I adore the Fuentes brothers so when I found out that Rules of Attraction would be about brother number two Carlos I was desperate to get it. It’s not out in the UK until next year and I of course couldn’t wait that long so I snatched up the US version but for some reason didn’t get around to reading it until last weekend. The airs starting to get that crisp autumn feel and I definitely needed me some Fuentes lovin’ to heat things up and this book didn’t let me down I loved it! Let me start off by saying that I didn’t love this book quiet as much as Perfect Chemistry. I didn’t feel that Carlos and Kiara had as much up against them as Alex and Brittany so the plot wasn’t as intense but I thought that in it’s own right it’s a good book. I didn’t think I could love a male character as much as I loved Alex Fuentes but Carlos actually knocked him off the top spot! I loved Kiara but not quiet as much as I loved Brittany. Where Brittany’s kind, sweet and girly Kiara’s her opposite being a complete tomboy and she could definitely hold her own against Carlos. I was pleasantly surprised by how much Alex and Brittany were actually in Rules of Attraction it was so good to see how they were getting on two years later after Perfect Chemistry finished. When I started this book I was a little worried that this might just be Perfect Chemistry repeating itself but it definitely wasn’t. Whilst there are similarities a lot was different and Kiara and Carlos were definitely not another Alex and Brittany they had their own distinct personalities and their own problems to face. Simone Elkeles has a brilliant talent for really knowing her characters, their really well developed and they feel so real which I love about Simone’s writing. Even the secondary characters you can’t help but fall in love with and in Rules of Attraction I especially loved Kiara’s little brother and dad. Where Simone Elkeles really excels is the romance. You can practically feel the heat between Kiara and Carlos radiating off the pages. The romantic, fiery, passionate banter between the couple leaves you in no doubt that their love and attraction to each other is strong. At one point when Carlos tells Kiara how much he loves her I found myself tearing up because it was just so real and convincing I could literally feel how Carlos felt and that is what makes this book so brilliant. It’s a die hard romance but not in a girly way at all. I’d definitely recommend this book for both genders as unlike a lot of romances I think it has a lot to offer everyone. It’s funny, fast paced, witty and sexy and I don’t think I’ve read a bad review for Perfect Chemistry or Rules of Attraction yet. Everyone will enjoy this book simply because Simone Elkeles is one of the best writers of YA realism fiction out there and if you don’t read her books you are seriously, seriously missing out. I can’t wait to read the last Fuentes brother Luis’s book Chain Reaction in 2011 and don’t know where I’m going to get my spicy Latino lovin’ until then. Highly, highly recommended to everyone. 4.5 stars. My Rating 4.5/5 stars ****1/2

8 comments :

  1. Loved your review:) I also adore Simone, her writing is just awesome! I love the series as well. Aren't those boys just so cute. I love how they talk too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I absolutely love Simone Elkeles' writing...this sounds good, and I'm glad to know Alex and Brittany are in it a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic review! I LOVED Perfect Chemistry and I can't wait to read Rules of Attraction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i completely agree wth you apart from the fact that Alex is wayyyy hotter hmmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you all like it! Here's a pic of my two favourite brothers together :P I'll let you all decide who's getting who ;) http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_geCu7Kw1-OQ/TJE_4rDZHUI/AAAAAAAAAhs/Cr5QzcXHX3g/s1600/47848_423341438950_510953950_5244401_4600525_n.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love LOVE Simone Elkeles!! Did you know there is going to be a third book in this series, titled Chain Reaction, and it will be about the youngest brother Luis. I believe it's out in the US this spring, March maybe?

    Have you read her other series Leaving Paradise (and the sequel Return to Paradise which just came out this month)? It's very, very good! I suggest picking those up if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I cannot wait to read this one! Carlos knocks Alex off the top spot? ooh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome review. I really enjoyed both books! It's so hard to pick between Carlos and Alex :

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts, opinions, and input make my day and help make this blog a better place, I reply to all comments so don't be a stranger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using images from the Valentine Owls and Valentine's Day clip art kits by Pink Pueblo