Monday 11 April 2011

Review for City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

This is a review for the third book in The Mortal Instruments series. Although there will be no spoilers about City of Glass there may be spoilers about the first two books in this series. "To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters -- never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight. As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadow-hunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadow-hunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her new found powers to help save the Glass City -- whatever the cost?" I jumped on the wagon for these books a little late compared to other people but decided I finally wanted to read this series in time for the fourth books release City of Fallen Angels. I’ve been working my way through this series over the last few months and could straight away see what all the fuss was about, however, as much as I enjoyed the first two books there seemed to be something missing for me, making both City of Bones and City of Ashes fall just short of the big 5 star mark and so it gives me great pleasure to finally be able to give Cassie Clare top marks because at last- for me- this book was perfect. City of Bones and City of Ashes always fell just that little bit short for me as I’d get bored at some parts. A lot of the book seemed to be written just for the purpose of padding the book out and I only ever found it completely unputdownable towards the end. It always seemed to take a while to really get going but City of Glass dives straight into the action and I couldn’t put it down. Throughout something exciting was going on in every chapter and I can safely say at no point did I get bored even for one moment! City of Glass was originally the end to The Mortal Instruments series and so all your questions regarding the first two books are answered and can I just say wow? Cassandra Clare tied things up in such a clever way and I really loved the end result. Although this book would have made a brilliant and satisfying final book I’m really glad Cassie has decided to carry this series on writing a further 3 books. One because I don’t think I’ll ever get enough of these characters and two because Cassandra Clare has clearly reached her peak right now showing us just what she’s capable of and I can’t wait to see more of that! Another reason City of Bones and City of Ashes didn’t blow my mind was because – and I’m well aware that it’s considered a crime among YA fiction fans to say this- I never really liked Jace. There I said it. I was definitely team Simon but in City of Glass my opinions on him completely changed and I’m now rather found of him although Simon will always personally have my heart! I loved all of the characters in this book and as usual loved the relationships and banter between them. What I love so much about Cassandra Clare is how in City of Ashes she gave Simon and Clary their chance and we as readers got to see how it didn’t work so although I’ve always loved Simon ultimately I knew him and Clary weren’t right together and so surprisingly at the start of City of Glass was rooting for Clary and Jace to find a way to be together…and that is as much as I am going to say on that as I don’t want to make this review spoilery for anyone who hasn’t yet read this book, although I fear I may be the only one! Not since Harry Potter has a world had so much detail put into it as The Mortal Instruments series. It’s such an exciting place to visit and read about and is so rich with detail and plot. I’m SO glad that I decided to give in and read this series, it’s been such a fantastic experience and I’m pleased to announce that these books will be taking their rightful place on my favourites shelf very soon! I’m so happy that I can now dive right in with City of Fallen Angels and don’t have to wait like old Cassie Clare fans, dudes, you have my deepest sympathy for having to wait such a long time! The books are exciting and romantic and absolutely deserve every second of hype they’ve received, if you haven’t checked them out yet I highly recommend that you do! My Rating 5/5 stars ***** Synopsis taken from goodreads

2 comments :

  1. I've only read the first one of this series, City of Bones, and I felt like that too that it fell a bit short, but it's so good to hear the series picks up as I do still have the rest of the series on my shelf. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you liked it. CoG was my favourite too - I thought Jace came across in a better light as well. Thanks for the review - I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of CoFA (I've yet to read it myself!).

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts, opinions, and input make my day and help make this blog a better place, I reply to all comments so don't be a stranger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using images from the Valentine Owls and Valentine's Day clip art kits by Pink Pueblo