Monday 9 February 2015

Where I've Been and What I've Been Reading

Hello everyone,

So you’ve probably noticed that I haven’t been posting these last couple of weeks, I had an unexpected blogging break. If you follow me on social media then you’ll know why but I felt like I owed an official explanation here on the blog for those who don’t.

For the past year my beloved dog Dylan battled a very unpredictable type of terminal cancer. I had him for a lot longer than I expected given his diagnosis and he had a very happy life until the middle of January when he started to take a turn for the worse. I had to have him put to sleep on my birthday. It was a really hard day but I couldn’t be selfish and keep him suffering for the sake of one day. I wasn’t on the blog for that last week when he was poorly because he needed me a lot and then I decided to take some time out to grieve after he died. This might seem silly to some people but I’m a massive animal lover and to not have a dog anymore felt unnatural. I got Dylan eight years ago during a time in my life when I was at my worst with my mental health and he gave me a reason to get out of bed on days when I’d otherwise give up. He was a big personality and truly my best friend and closest companion. He has left a big hole in my life.

So that’s why I’ve been away. I’m at a point where I’m ready to return to blogging now but I’m not going to force myself to post if I don’t feel like it and will be taking a more laid back approach for a little while.

While I’ve been away I’ve been reading some fantastic books. I’ve taken a break from review books and have been picking up some older releases. I devoured the first two Wells and Wong books Murder Most Unladylike and Arsenic For Tea by Robin Stevens and I can’t recommend them enough. They provided some much needed escapism! I also recently picked up The Bone Season ahead of an event in Birmingham with the author Samantha Shannon last week and really enjoyed it. It’s perfect for fans of Daughter of Smoke and Bone but at the same time it’s very unique and different. I had a great time meeting Samantha and even plucked up the courage to ask her some questions! I started reading the second book The Mime Order over the weekend and I’m enjoying it even more than book one!

I’ve got lots of reviews lined up to share with you soon and I’m looking forward to getting stuck in to my review pile and getting back to blogging. I haven’t had the best start to 2015 but I’m looking ahead to spring.

I hope that all has been well with you and that you’ve been reading some fantastic books! Thanks again to everyone who sent me messages of support on Twitter and to everybody who has been so patient with me.

I’ll be seeing you soon,
Jess
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using images from the Valentine Owls and Valentine's Day clip art kits by Pink Pueblo